Promoting Social Justice
Protect Abortion Access in Nebraska
Attend the Next Side With Love (Social Justice) Team Online Meeting
Sunday, February 5 at 4:30pm
Join us! We hope to have a special guest, Nyomi Thompson, from I Be Black Girl. Nyomi is one of the leading advocates in the fight to protect abortion access in Nebraska. We will also be discussing new bills introduced this session related to voting, anti-racism and equity for the LGBTQIA+ community.
URGENT: OPPOSE ABORTION BAN LB 626
Here are things that need to be done RIGHT NOW to protect abortion access in Nebraska.
LB 626, an extreme bill to ban abortions in Nebraska, is scheduled for a hearing at the Capitol in Lincoln on Wednesday, February 1 at 1:30p.m. The hearing will held in Room 1510, before the Health and Human Services Committee. Follow this link for a copy of the bill: https://nebraskalegislature.gov/FloorDocs/108/PDF/Intro/LB626.pdf
1. Call or email your state senator and urge them to oppose LB 626. Do this even if you know they already oppose LB 626. THEY NEED TO HEAR FROM YOU RIGHT NOW! Follow this link for talking points and how to contact your senator: https://www.nebraskansforabortionaccess.com/contact-your-senator
For more talking points and information about the devastating impact of abortion bans: https://www.aclunebraska.org/en/take-action-protect-abortion-access-nebraska
2. Attend the hearing on Wednesday, February 1, whether or not you plan to testify in person. There are folks from First Unitarian Church who will be attending and/or testifying at the hearing. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you plan to attend and whether you are interested in ride-sharing. Please consider testifying at the hearing. Follow this link for more information about testifying: https://nebraskalegislature.gov/about/testifying.php It can be a little scary, but it’s not hard. Each person will likely have only a couple of minutes to speak. Last year, the folks testifying in opposition to the abortion bans far outnumbered those who spoke in support, and that made a big impact. We are here to support you!
3. Submit written comments online to the Health and Human Services Committee by going to this page and clicking on the tab “Submit comments online for LB 626”. https://nebraskalegislature.gov/bills/view_bill.php?DocumentID=50641
4. Write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper. Follow this link for tips: https://static1.squarespace.com/static/62d62c2cf66814327da6f201/t/62eac3274d26f9000715656d/1659552551188/LTENebraskans+for+Abortion+Access.pdf
5. Amplify your voice by asking friends on social media to do the same. Follow this link for some cool graphics you can use: https://www.nebraskansforabortionaccess.com/download-graphics
Other Bills in the Nebraska Legislature
The Side With Love Team also encourages members of the First Unitarian Church community to take action with respect to the following legislation:
1. Support LB20 Eliminate Felony Disenfranchisement: Remove the two year waiting period and restore voting rights immediately upon completion of a felony sentence, including parole or probation.
2. Support LB88: Remove the SNAP benefits lifetime ban for individuals with certain drug convictions.
3. Oppose any legislation that enables construction of a new prison in Nebraska.
The Side with Love Team has a mission to create more pathways for members to live our values. This includes civic engagement activities, such as involvement in local, national and international issues.
Mindful of our status as a Welcoming Congregation, and the overwhelming congregational vote in support of Black Lives Matter, the Side with Love Team is also focusing on anti-racism and equity for LGBTQIA+ people, with a deep commitment to hold ourselves accountable to the marginalized communities who are most adversely affected by the current systems we are working to change. Our Side with Love team is part of a denomination-wide Side with Love campaign to organize and elevate the voice of UUs across the country to build more just, democratic and sustainable communities. (Go here to learn more about the national campaign https://sidewithlove.org.) The Side with Love Team intends to be a vehicle to promote awareness, as well as offering a mix of study and action, around the issues our church community is most passionate about. Action may include letter writing, lobbying, testifying at legislative hearings and participating in public demonstrations.
First Unitarian’s 501(c)(3) status allows member participation in non-partisan, issue-related activities, as long as we don’t engage in any type of political campaigning for candidates. While church policy permits the team to take positions on its own behalf, the Side with Love Team will take care not to speak about any issue in the name of First Unitarian Church, unless the congregation has voted to take a public stand in accordance with our church bylaws.
How to get involved:
Come to our meetings! Contact the team by email at email@example.com